PROJECT Nose Badge

2/15/07 - With the temperature down to 10 degrees outside, it was time to play with my inside toys.  Specifically, my graphics plotter.  Thanks to Andy Clark, I was able to get some good digital pictures of the badge.  Having the metal enameled ones made wouldn't be too difficult, but at minimum orders of 1000, it wouldn't be cost effective, especially when there is only less than 50 known cars made.  So from the pictures and some overall measurements, I spent a day drawing the specs for the badge on my CAD program.  I decided to use a solid silver base to make sure that the decal would hold together and die cut the blue background and yellow logo. 


I use a UV resistant 5 year vinyl use for outside signage that stands up to daily exposure to the elements.  After cutting out the vinyl, you have to remove the excess, called weeding.  On larger decals, this is straight forward, however on smaller cuts, like the lettering, it requires a ton of patience.  Once weeded, I use a clear vinyl transfer sheet to remove the decal layers without disturbing the location and shape of the decals.  The clear transfer sheet is much more expensive than the standards paper transfer sheets, but it works so much better and gives you a better shot of lining up the layers correctly (you will only have one shot as soon as the vinyl touches down, you are committed).

The transfer sheet is then used to lift the layer off its backing and then applied carefully to the backing layer.  I found that lining up the bottom of the decal and then rolling the layer up works best, but it may take you a couple of tries.  Also, be wary of static electricity which may attract the bottom layer up from your work surface to the layer you are trying to apply before you have it properly lined up.  But after you get the hang of it, it goes fairly quickly. 

Now with the tough job done, I should start tackling the easy part, restoring the LD4.